Saturday, October 31, 2009

Topic 6 Exercise 6.2

Wiki and Moodle Design
  1. Visit Moodle.org or ispg.csu.edu.au/Moodle and join it or any similar moodle site that allows public login or that you have already experienced.
  2. Get the enrolment key for the ITC510/213 Moodle class from the subject forum post by the Lecturer.
  3. Navigate through the system to get a look and feel for the place and try to make forum or blog entry on topic.
  4. Using your CSU interact wiki or other wiki experience and your short experience as a Moodle member answer the following.
  • What is about the design of the wiki and Moodle that you liked or disliked?
  • What features do Wiki and Moodle have in common and what are the differences (eg a Wik, forum and blogtool is also groupware design feature inside a Moodle site)?
  • Is the presence of likeable features also a combination of the design tips for usability, sociability and sustainability, as advocated by Preece and Kim in earlier topics?

I was very curious to check out moodle as I hadn’t heard of it let alone used it before. I liked that it that the registration process was relatively painless and in terms of usability moodle looks relatively simple to use. I spent some time just “touring” the site getting a feel for what it is all about. I was not really disappointed at what I discovered. I particularly liked that I could access wikis, blogs, forums and chats all from the one site. These abilities make the site more attractive as I wouldn’t have to have use multiple sites to use a variety of tools.
Unfortunately, my experiences of actually using a Wiki with my students is somewhat limited – but from my studies I have discovered that they too are fairly easy to set up and a good tool for collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment